Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Carolinas, North and South.

The trip has taken a welcome turn for the touristy as I've arrived in several cities that I just couldn't breeze through in a day: namely Charleston, SC (although Savannah, GA is great, too). I'm doing 100+ mile-days like I was a real cyclist and all the aches and pains inflicted by the Appalachian mountains have all disappeared! Halloween is almost here and I'm riding around with a plastic pumpkin on the front of my bike...which people seem to like 'cause they honk (and not the "Get-Off-the-Road-You-SOB" kind of honk but the "Hey-I-Like-Your-Plastic-Pumpkin" kind of honk...the difference is subtle but you learn these things out here on the road...) Hope everyone is still doing great and that you all have outstanding Halloween plans! These photos are in sort of disjointed order but: friends from the hostel enjoy free champagne and appetizers up and down King St. in Charleston for the annual Designwalk event. The sun peering out of the clouds on the long and sea-legs-testing ferry from Ocracoke to Cedar Bay Island (Outerbanks, NC). A few very kind bike shop employees who gave me a spare tube on the house, in NC. The annual Notso Hostel's Pumpkin fest featuring Pumpkin Mac n' Cheese, Pumpkin Lasagne, Pumpkin Soup, Pumpkin Salad, Pumpkin Glazed Chicken and, of course, Pumpkin Pie. I can't thank everyone at the Notso Hostel enough for their hospitality and just general, all-around coolness. You guys have a great place there in Charleston and I know I'll be back!