Sunday, November 9, 2008

...where the sidewalk ends.

After a solid month of travel and somewhere around 2,000 miles of cycling, I have arrived in Key West, FL. Man, I sure have worked up a thirst, is there any place around that I can get a...oh, I see. It's been quite a trip (that isn't really over yet, but...). I got this t-shirt at that hostel in Charleston with a quote on the back that reads "There are no yesterdays on the road." That has never been more true than on this trip. Really, there are no tomorrows either, I'd say. Traveling by bicycle really sort of requires that you stay focused on the present. Too much time reflecting and you start to feel frustrated, like so much time has passed and you've made so little progress...as well as the inherent dangers of spending so much time on busy highways, cars and semi-trucks flying by only inches away from you for hours and hours every day. You just really can't think about it or it starts to wear on your brain. Also, planning too far ahead becomes really pointless also. Its impossible to predict the wind, the reliability of the bike and the reliability of your body. The absolute best way to travel by bicycle? One hour at a time. So here's to 800+ hours of travel and 2,000 miles of pedaled highway. Thank you to everyone who has checked out this blog, left kind messages/emails, donated to the Red Cross! Literally every bit of support along the way has helped to keep me positive and to make the trip all that much more enjoyable! P.S. I'm still going to ride up the gulf coast of florida to alabama, so anticipate at least a few more updates with more pictures. Once I'm back behind my own computer, I'll also post a bunch of videos and a more thorough picture-diary. Until, then!




























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Patrick,
I met you at the NotSo in Charleston, and just wanted to congratulate you on making it to the Keys! Have a good time going across the Gulf Coast and to Alabama. I would recommend the white sands of NW Florida and a stop at the Florabama Bar on the Florida-Alabama state line. I'm from that area, so I'm a little biased, but that region has some beautiful beaches! It was nice to meet you, and I'm glad your trip was such a success! --Brynne P.